Horsham St Faith’s Primary School pupils enjoy their new play area
A primary school's youngest pupils have been making the most of their new outdoor play area – with even maths lessons taking place outside.
Children in reception and year one of St Faith's Primary School, in Horsham St Faith, near Norwich, have never had a secure space to run around away from their classrooms.
But after a 2009 Ofsted report flagged up the issue with the early-years provision, teachers and staff have worked hard to create the new outdoor area.
Yesterday, after two years battling a number of problems including planning obstacles, it was officially opened.
Lesley Rix, early years foundation stage teacher at the school, said the 18 four to six-year-olds were keen to make the most of the new facility and were heading outdoors every chance they had.
You may also want to watch:
She said: 'They love it. They don't want to be inside – they want to play outside all the while.
'In my lesson planning I'm trying to take everything outside rather than doing it inside. We've even been doing maths lessons outside, as well as a bit of gardening.'
- 1 Part of A47 closed after crash between pedestrian and lorry
- 2 Busy petrol station on A140 closes due to 'unforeseen circumstances'
- 3 Never mind Santa's sleigh... how about a Christmas combine harvester?
- 4 Revealed: Coronavirus vaccine hubs in Norfolk
- 5 Talented 24-year-old opens new bakery in village
- 6 Saver menus and pizzas - how pubs are opening under 'substantial meal' rule
- 7 9 Norfolk pubs with heated gardens for mixed households
- 8 Man hit by lorry on A47 rushed to hospital with serious injuries
- 9 'More substantial than a Scotch egg': Pub creates the 'Botched egg'
- 10 Shocking dashcam footage shows man doing 129mph through village
The outdoor space, funded by the school, now has blackboards and whiteboards, a water tray and sand pit, and a series of wooden hollow blocks to play with.
There is also an area to play musical instruments and 'track ways' painted on the ground for the children to ride their bikes around.
Has your school invested money in exciting new facilities? Contact education correspondent Victoria Leggett on 01603 772468 or email firstname.lastname@example.org