Hollyoaks Actor praises bid to beat addiction at UEA
- Credit: Archant © 2013
A former soap actor praised the work of Norfolk's budding health professionals as he visited the county to share the story of his drug and alcohol addiction.
Paul Danan, who played Sol Patrick in Hollyoaks and also appeared in Celebrity Love Island, was helping to raise awareness of the Norfolk Recovery Partnership, which will be launched next month, and the Norfolk Recovery Festival, which takes place in June.
After doing some filming for the partnership yesterday morning, he went on to the John Innes Centre to take part in a conference where University of East Anglia students looked at the issue of alcohol misuse.
Mr Danan watched a powerful play by UEA drama students before telling the conference: 'I think it's amazing that people are doing more research and that Norfolk is raising awareness of people with drug and alcohol problems.'
The actor said his substance misuse began as a way to cope with social situations, but became an addiction while he was still in his 20s.
You may also want to watch:
It took him until he was 30, with treatment and counselling, to beat the disease.
He said: 'They are finding more and more information about how this is a disease and an illness. It's not people doing it on purpose.'
- 1 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 2 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 3 Man dies in hospital after fight near Norfolk pub
- 4 The Bill star reveals he has moved to Norfolk and why he loves it
- 5 Why has a golden dome appeared in this Norfolk town?
- 6 Delays on roads as petrol queues continue
- 7 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 8 Queues form at Norfolk petrol stations - despite reassurances over stock
- 9 Q&A: All you need to know about fuel shortages
- 10 A11 to undergo 18 months of roadworks
Yesterday evening Mr Danan joined the DramActive Academy seniors group at Hethersett High as they prepared a play which will be performed at this summer's Norfolk Recovery Festival.
Dragon Chaser is a hard-hitting piece about the nervous breakdown of a teenager due to drug and alcohol misuse.