Hewett School appoints new headteacher from nearby Norwich high school
- Credit: Bill Smith - Archant
A troubled Norwich high school which is at the centre of a controversy over becoming an academy has appointed a new permanent headteacher.
The Hewett School has been hit by a series of problems over the past two years, culminating it being put into special measures in November.
Tom Leverage, currently deputy headteacher at nearby Notre Dame High School, will take over from current interim head Phil Hearne, following a two-day appointment process last week.
Mr Leverage was one of three people interviewed, and has previously worked at Eaton Hall Specialist Academy.
Paul Mitchell, chairman of the interim executive board (IEB) which the government appointed to replace the Hewett's governors in March, said: 'He has a wide range of experience across mainstream and special schools, which is obviously invaluable.
You may also want to watch:
'He has got a lot of knowledge working locally. He has an insight into the Hewett School and its history, and he really impressed us with his energy, enthusiasm and commitment to the school. He seemed to us to be absolutely the right candidate.'
Mr Mitchell added he was in talks with Notre Dame about Mr Leverage being released from his current job early, so he could overlap with Mr Hearne.
- 1 Machinery sale marks end of family's 100-year farming history
- 2 'Max Factor lady' - Tributes to adored gran who died in M11 layby
- 3 Warning over 'Amazon' cold call recordings scam in Norfolk
- 4 Pub has to close indefinitely as town cleans up after floods
- 5 Ghosts of business past: Empty shop units for rent for £100,000
- 6 'Oh no, not another one' - lake drowning triggers soul-searching over safety
- 7 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
- 8 'An insult - Matt Hancock accused over secret visit to crumbling hospital
- 9 Former care home sells at auction for £400,000
- 10 Roads flooded on east coast after heavy rain
A consultation about the Hewett being taken over by the Inspiration Trust chain of academy schools is due to start next month.
Mr Mitchell said the decision to appoint Mr Leverage was made solely by the IEB, although it had asked the Inspiration Trust to brief candidates on what it was like working for it, in case it did take over.
In a statement, Notre Dame High School said it looked forward 'to continuing to work successfully with the Hewett and its new headteacher in the years to come'.
Do you have an education story? Email firstname.lastname@example.org