Hewett campaigner vows to fight on as school becomes the Hewett Academy
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2015
While thousands of children across the region start the new academic year today, things may be a little different for pupils at two Norwich high schools.
The Hewett School and Sewell Park College have been re-born as the Hewett Academy, sponsored by the Inspiration Trust, and Sewell Park Academy, sponsored by the Right for Success Trust.
The Hewett's academisation was particularly controversial, and anti-academy campaigners have vowed to keep up the pressure over issues like future changes to the uniform, demanding a strong parental voice in the school's governance, and preserving the school's current ethos.
Leading campaigner Lynsey White said campaigners had to accept the school was now an academy, and was sponsored by the Inspiration Trust.
She said: 'What we are hoping is the current parents and student body will be empowered to stand up for themselves. Some of the Hewett kids have been really inspired by the campaign.'
You may also want to watch:
Principal Tom Leverage said: 'We are very excited to be opening as an academy. We have new signs and have made some improvements to reception and to traffic arrangements on the site to improve safety, but most importantly we have had two fantastic days with our staff getting prepared for the new term.'
- 1 Roads flooded on east coast after heavy rain
- 2 Machinery sale marks end of family's 100-year farming history
- 3 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
- 4 Man put hidden camera in bedroom to spy on wife
- 5 Robbers knock out boy, 14, and steal trainers from his feet
- 6 'An insult - Matt Hancock accused over secret visit to crumbling hospital
- 7 Appeal for rescuers to come forward following Sea Palling incident
- 8 Woman taken to hospital following crash on A146
- 9 Driver taken to hospital after four-car crash on key road into Norwich
- 10 Gypsy and travellers await planning appeal result