Norfolk school pupil scores football scholarship at League One club
- Credit: Inspiration Trust
A Year 11 student at Hethersett Academy has won a scholarship with League One club Peterborough United.
Gabriel Overton, who joined Hethersett Academy in Year 9, impressed coaches after signing for the U16 team and has now been offered a two-year scholarship with Posh U18 team.
The youngster, who more regularly played tennis before moving to Hethersett, said: “If I hadn’t joined Hethersett Academy in Year 9, I wouldn’t have started playing and none of this would have happened.
“The school has always been incredibly supportive of my football, and has done whatever they could to support me.
“They’ve let me go for matches, training, and other meetings, because they knew I’d catch up on any work missed and would never let it affect my school work.”
You may also want to watch:
Nick Austin, head of PE at Hethersett Academy, said: “Gabe is an exceptional sportsman and an exceptional young man. He has every attribute going for him both academically and sporting. He’s as modest as they come, but he is filled with confidence in his own ability.”
- 1 Missing man found by off-duty police officer
- 2 £5m roadworks on A47 cause delays - and months more to come
- 3 Man jailed for 24 years for raping and sexually assaulting two girls
- 4 Three Norfolk hotels named among the best for romance in the UK
- 5 Man charged after cannabis factory and 300 plants found above pizza takeaway
- 6 Village rounds on council over 'disgraceful' road resurfacing that covered cycle lanes and blocked drains
- 7 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 8 Road cleared after three-vehicle collision on A47
- 9 Early hours arrests as part of 'ongoing police investigation'
- 10 Pub boss struggling to recruit ahead of lockdown lifting