Gresham’s School, Holt, choristers through to national competition final
- Credit: Archant
A school choir from north Norfolk has made it through to a national competition final at its first attempt.
The chapel choir, at Gresham's Prep School, in Holt, will travel to The Barbican Centre in London on March 3 to take part in the final of Barnardo's Choral Competition.
The Gresham's choristers, aged between eight and 12, have only been singing together for one term but qualified for a place in the final after being chosen as one of the top 16 junior choirs in the country.
A panel of judges at the Barbican will be chaired by Douglas Coombes MBE, composer, conductor and music consultant for the BBC's Songs of Praise School choir competition.
Winning choirs from the competition will be invited to sing at Barnardo's Young Supporters' Concert on June 6 at the Royal Albert Hall, London.
You may also want to watch:
Choir conductor Nathan Waring, who is director of music at Gresham's Prep School, said the young choir's success was a marvellous achievement.
He added: 'They work very hard in rehearsals to achieve the highest possible standard of singing – and have a lot of fun as well.'
- 1 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 2 Air ambulance called and A47 closed after incident
- 3 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 4 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 5 Do you recognise this man?
- 6 Shed set alight, 16 broken into and pumpkins destroyed at allotments
- 7 Man airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after fight near pub
- 8 Bus services to be cancelled and changed amid driver shortage
- 9 Former teacher who abused young boys handed 25-year sentence
- 10 End of an era as cafe owner hangs up apron after 26 years
The choir's other engagements this term include a trip to the chapel of King's College, Cambridge, and performing in weekly school chapel services and concerts.