High school site to be closed all week after ‘significant’ flooding
- Credit: Archant
A Great Yarmouth school site is set to be closed all week due to flooding.
Great Yarmouth Charter Academy's site at Thamesfield Way was on Monday after a 'plumbing failure' over the weekend caused significant flooding.
While the problem has been fixed, the Inspiration Trust, which runs the school, has decided to keep the site closed all week in order for the building to 'fully dry out and be cleaned'.
The 80 pupils currently based at the Thamesfield Way site will be taught at the academy's Salisbury Road site for the rest of the week, following their normal timetable.
Free transport will be provided for all pupils leaving Thamesfield Way at 8.25am each day, and returning at the end of the school day.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for the Inspiration Trust said pupils will return to lessons at Thamesfield Way from Monday, January 21. 'We apologise for any inconvenience but the changes are necessary to protect pupil and staff safety.'
The Thamesfield Way site, formerly occupied by Trafalgar College, became part of Charter Academy following a merger in September 2018.
- 1 Spectacle of light with 'Norfolk's biggest ever firework display' announced
- 2 Man dies in hospital after fight near Norfolk pub
- 3 Petrol stations close nationally as HGV driver crisis worsens
- 4 Rare Airbus Beluga XL spotted over Norfolk
- 5 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 6 The Bill star reveals he has moved to Norfolk and why he loves it
- 7 Some queues - but business largely as usual at Norfolk's petrol stations
- 8 Queues form at Norfolk petrol stations - despite reassurances over stock
- 9 Main road reopens more than six hours after 'serious' crash
- 10 Harley-Davidson motorcyclist dies in A134 crash
All pupils are expected to be moved to the Salisbury Road site by September this year, with a 'substantial investment' in its facilities promised to accommodate 1,500 pupils.
At the moment there are around 80 pupils based at Thamesfield Way and 660 pupils at Salisbury Road.