Future Voices: The benefits of giving your time to volunteer
- Credit: Archant
Fewer young people in the East of England regularly volunteer their time, fundraise for charity or campaign on issues they care about than in other parts of the country. We want to change this. We have written a series of articles to help more young people learn about the benefits of helping others.
There are so many benefits. You can help a big or small cause, and actually have a fun and enlightening experience when taking part. New skills, meeting new people and having a greater understanding of many areas are all qualities that you could develop by donating a little time and energy.
Youth social action is defined as 'practical action in the service of others that creates positive change', and the national #iwill campaign is trying to encourage it. Volunteering, fundraising and campaigning are all great ways to get involved in the community and help others, as well as gain knowledge and confidence within. There is no need for experience, just a little enthusiasm.
According to research from MORI, only 25% of young people from the East of England take part in meaningful social action, compared to 40% nationally. So why not join the 25% of 10-20 year olds currently taking part, and help make someone's day that little bit more special?
There is a national campaign to get more people taking part in youth social action – take a look and pledge your support here: http://www.iwill.org.uk/
You may also want to watch:
Laura Wright, 15, Wymondham College
- 1 Motorcyclist dies in crash on A11
- 2 GP surgery in special measures after inspectors find range of faults
- 3 Electric vehicle owners could have to pay £50 to run cables to cars
- 4 Driver dies in crash on A47
- 5 Indian restaurant in Norfolk nominated for two national awards
- 6 Vintage tractor enthusiast's prized collection goes under the hammer
- 7 Britain's poshest train returning to Norwich for Christmas lunch
- 8 Your favourite pub, café, restaurant and hotel in Norfolk revealed
- 9 End of an era as hardware store closes after 60 years
- 10 Woman who was found with maggots living in hand evicted from care home