Former regional schools commissioner now chair of governors at Great Yarmouth Charter Academy
- Credit: Archant
The man who previously oversaw academies and schools in the east of England has become chair of governors at a Great Yarmouth school.
Tim Coulson was regional schools commissioner for the region until earlier this year, when he was replaced by Sue Baldwin.
He tweeted on Monday to say he had enjoyed his visit to Great Yarmouth Charter Academy and was 'delighted' to be working as chair of governors.
The eight regional schools commissioners permit schools to convert to academies, send warning notices if academies perform below expectation and decide on school intake.
You may also want to watch:
While in the role, he was advised by the headteacher board for the east of England and north-east London, on which Inspiration Trust chief executive Rachel de Souza is an appointed member.
- 1 Rare Airbus Beluga XL spotted over Norfolk
- 2 Spectacle of light with 'Norfolk's biggest ever firework display' announced
- 3 Man dies after 'medical incident' on Yarmouth seafront
- 4 Popular GP bids farewell to patients with emotional letter after 33 years in Beccles
- 5 Star-studded cast announced for Norwich Theatre Royal 2021 panto
- 6 Birds of prey found shot and poisoned during raid in Norfolk
- 7 Plastic fork firm redundancies blamed on supermarket ‘greenwashing’
- 8 Closures near A11 roundabout after crash involving motorcycle and van
- 9 Man struck repeatedly on head with motorcylcle helmet in Norfolk attack
- 10 Home baker opens first shop after business 'snowballed' in lockdown
Mr Coulson turned down a bid for Great Yarmouth High School to join the Diocese of Norwich Education and Academies Trust (DNEAT), before it was announced it was due to join the Inspiration Trust last March.
He would have also been in post when Cobholm Primary Academy, in Great Yarmouth, and Stradbroke Primary School, in Gorleston, were approved to be taken over by the trust, and when they received the go-ahead to open Trafalgar College, a free school in Great Yarmouth.
The trust is currently consulting on plans to merge Great Yarmouth Charter and Trafalgar College.
Mr Coulson is also chief executive of the Samuel Ward Academy Trust, which runs schools across Suffolk.
Charter Academy has been in the headlines over the last fortnight, after its strict new behaviour policy was revealed.
The school, which became an academy under the Inspiration Trust in August, saw just one in three of its pupils secure a pass in English and maths GCSEs this summer.