Celebrations as Recreation Road Infant School in Norwich retains ‘outstanding’ Ofsted rating
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2014
Pupils at an infant school are celebrating after it retained its top 'outstanding' rating in its first Ofsted inspection for five years.
Inspectors said high standards at Recreation Road Infant School, in Norwich, had been sustained since the last inspection in 2009, with pupils' attainment significantly above the national average for reading, writing and maths for the past six years.
The report on the 355-pupil school said: 'The curriculum encourages pupils to become independent, inquisitive learners and many make outstanding progress.' It added: 'Teachers show great respect for their pupils; relationships in classrooms are fun, warm and trusting.'
The inspectors, who visited on October 8-9, also praised the school's reaction to a drop in the proportion of pupils reaching the expected standards in phonics – the sounds that letters make – in 2013; urgent action meant that by 2014 the proportion had risen significantly.
Headteacher Serena Dixon said: 'We are extremely proud of the work we do at Recreation Road and constantly endeavour to improve the opportunities for our children. We enjoy the daily company of enthusiastic, creative and talented children and adults and this report celebrates the successes that we have achieved using a rich and inquiry based curriculum.
You may also want to watch:
'It firmly acknowledges all the hard work of the staff, governors, parent-helpers and children in our school.'
Do you have an education story? Email email@example.com
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 3 Body of man in 20s found at nature reserve near Norwich
- 4 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 5 Sneak peek inside first £2.7m luxury mansion for sale
- 6 Shocked couple told statue used as doorstop could be worth £1m
- 7 Neighbours' shock as man's body found in flat weeks after he died
- 8 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 9 Fly-tippers dumped dead relative's rubbish – just half a mile from recycling centre
- 10 Norfolk couple's hopes of £1m 'doorstop' sculpture dashed