Budding young painters at Notre Dame Preparatory School are inspired by the Norwich School of Artists
Schoolchildren have been creating their own landscapes after being inspired by the works of master painters.
Year three and four students from Notre Dame Preparatory School in Dereham Road, Norwich, spent yesterday taking part in an Open Skies workshop that focused on the work of the Norwich School of Artists, and then gave the budding young artists the chance to create their own masterpieces based on the John Crome painting Road with Pollards.
Roxanne Matthews, of LivingNorwich, who organised the event, said: 'At the beginning we were inspired by the Norwich School of Artists, particularly John Crome and John Cotman, and we also had an original John Thirtle painting from the Art 18/21 gallery to look at.
'We then did sketching and talked about perspective and then created paintings based on a Crome painting.
'The children all created some really fantastic pieces – some of the paintings really were masterpieces.'
You may also want to watch:
Kimberley Wragg, year three teacher and the school's art and design and technology coordinator, said: 'The children were so engrossed in everything, so enthusiatic and excited, and every single one of them has achieved a really good painting.'
After the art session, yesterday the children also enjoyed hearing some Norwich Tudor Storytelling by the Yarnsmith of Norwich.
- 1 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 2 Man taken to hospital after cardiac arrest at beach
- 3 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 4 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 5 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 6 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 7 City ready for Cantwell and Aarons end game
- 8 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 9 Norwich Bus Station building closed due to Covid ping
- 10 'Do your bit to slow spread' - plea as Covid hospital admissions remain low
Any other schools interested in taking part in a LivingNorwich project should email email@example.com or visit www.livingnorwich.co.uk
Also see the LivingNorwich website for details of events open to the public.
Are you involved in a new arts event? Call reporter Emma Knights on 01603 772428 or email firstname.lastname@example.org