Bignold Primary reveals its plans for bomb shelter in its playground
- Credit: Archant
An entrance to a Second World War bomb shelter in a primary school playground will be partially covered with toughened glass so pupils and visitors can look into it for years to come.
One set of steps leading into the shelter at Bignold Primary in Norwich were uncovered by contractors filling pot holes earlier this month.
The discovery excited the imaginations of children at Bignold Primary School, and brought back memories for wartime pupils at what was then Crooks Place Junior School.
However, no-one was allowed to enter the structure because it was not known if it was safe, and that entrance has now been re-covered, with the shelter itself left undamaged.
Now, headteacher Clare Jones said the playground will be re-surfaced this summer, and part of the other entrance will be left partially visible.
You may also want to watch:
She said: 'I have been astounded by the level of reaction from not only Norwich citizens, but ex-Crooks Place pupils who have telephoned, written and even come to school in person to be reminded of their school days.
'There were so many wonderful offers to come and tell the children about it. It meant a great deal to the school community.'
- 1 County welcomes tankers but motorists continue to queue for fuel
- 2 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 3 Revealed: Where most parking tickets have been issued in Norfolk
- 4 Key workers share 'unnecessary and frustrating' impact of panic-buying
- 5 Weird Norfolk: Is Diss Mere the waterlogged crater of an extinct volcano?
- 6 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 7 Q&A: All you need to know about fuel shortages
- 8 Search continues for man with knife who chased victim into KFC
- 9 Controversy reignited over 300 home scheme on edge of Norwich
- 10 Queuing for petrol - a tale as old as time
She hopes a structural survey when the second entrance is uncovered will allow someone to go inside and take some photos.