‘It’s a good feeling to be published’: Students’ short stories brought together in new book
- Credit: Neil Hall/UEA
From an army of jelly babies to talking ducks on a quest, budding writers in Norfolk have seen their best creative work published in an anthology.
Around 300 students from seven schools in Norwich, Dereham and Great Yarmouth took part in the Undercover Readers project, which aims to inspire students to consider a career in the creative industries.
Through a programme of workshops, masterclasses and author performances over the last academic year, the students have created short stories which have been brought together in a 60,000-word anthology.
The project culminated in a celebration event at the University of East Anglia (UEA) on June 27, where the stories were brought to life in readings by local author Alex Scarrow and Norwich-based performance poet Cai Draper. Students were also given an original artwork based on their stories, created by Norwich University of the Arts (NUA) students.
Joshua Kerrison, 14 and from Ormiston Venture Academy, said the inspiration for his story Happyland came months before he started writing.
You may also want to watch:
"It stayed in my head and then when I had to write a story I thought I'd reuse the idea. The whole point of the story was to make my family laugh and they thought it was funny.
"It's a good feeling to be published in the book and I'd like to use it as a stepping stone to do more writing," he said.
- 1 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 4 Norfolk man who had sexual relationship with teen jailed
- 5 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 6 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
- 7 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 8 The Range confirms new store at former Outfit on retail park
- 9 Funeral held for much loved windsurfer after body found in Sweden
- 10 Man charged with attempted murder after serious Norwich assault