Early Christmas presents for two west Norfolk sports clubs
- Credit: Archant
Two sports clubs in Clenchwarton are celebrating after being awarded money to buy a kit and karate pads.
The Clenchwarton Youth Football Club and Chowa Sakuro Karate Club were nominated to receive the money from UK Power Networks by Adam Mason and Stephen Thurston, who maintain and upgrade overhead power lines for the company.
Mr Mason, who is the captain of Clenchwarton Victory men's Sunday team, said: 'I absolutely love playing with the guys but the squad really needed a winter kit, so I thought I would apply for the grant to go towards buying it.
'We are all so happy with the kit, it looks great and it's certainly keeping us warm on cold, winter match days.'
Mr Thurston, who coaches at the football club and also runs the Chowa Sakuro Karate Club, which he set up in 1992, added: 'We mainly focus on self-defence which requires the use of hand and kick pads. I have received the grant before and, as our hand and kick pads are very old and worn, I thought I would apply for it again. The club is non-profit-making so there is no extra money for equipment once the hall costs and insurance is covered.'
You may also want to watch:
Clenchwarton Youth FC, formed in 1976, has 11 youth teams and one adult.
The youth teams play in the Mid-Norfolk Youth League while the adult team is in the King's Lynn and District Sunday League.
- 1 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 2 Jack-knifed lorry shuts A148 as police issue ice warning
- 3 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 4 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 5 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 6 Map reveals the most serious crashes on the NDR since it fully opened
- 7 The secrets and scandals of a former Norwich hotel
- 8 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 9 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 10 It's 'a long, long way' until lockdown restrictions are lifted - Hancock
The awards of £250 each were made through the electricity supplier's Team Sport Award scheme, which encourages staff to volunteer in the community.
Has your club been awarded a grant? Email email@example.com