New ‘ultimate 5k’ to give runners air ambulance experience
- Credit: EAAA
Foam, paint, lasers, winder machines, inflatables - and a 5k run.
That is what is in store for those taking part in the East Anglian Air Ambulance's (EAAA) latest fundraising drive, a nighttime five kilometre run.
Named the Neon Night Mission, it will take place on Saturday, October 13, at 6pm in Norwich's Earlham Park.
EAAA is a charity providing a life-saving helicopter emergency medical service for the people of East Anglia. Each of their crews consist of two pilots, one doctor and a critical care paramedic.
The crew take advanced critical care directly to patients who have suffered life-threatening or life-changing accidents or medical emergencies.
The aim of this ultimate 5k is to celebrate EAAA being one of the first air ambulances in the country to fly to unlit sites at night and the crews who overcome various challenges using night vision systems to safely land the helicopter and get the experts to the scene.
Runners can feel a part of that for the night as the event is themed all around their missions.
- 1 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 2 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 3 Man dies of collapsed lung after 'busy' hospital meant x-ray was missed
- 4 Farmer says cousin's wedding venue will bring 'criminal activity'
- 5 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 6 Norfolk garden centre wins 27th gold medal at Chelsea Flower Show
- 7 'It is a cash cow' - vicar's warning after being slapped with parking fine
- 8 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 9 Major road to close for resurfacing works costing £81,000
- 10 The best places to eat in north Norfolk according to The Good Food Guide
Those taking part will go through five mission areas - turning themselves EAAA colours (red and yellow) in the paint zone, running through the downdraft (wind machine), using night vision to navigate through the dark (green light tunnel), navigating the low cloud (foam area) and finishing up in the landing zone – it's going to be a bouncy ride.
The event is open to anyone over the age of 12, and EAAA is expecting a sell-out.
Early bird prices range from £16.50 up to £25, by selecting a minimum sponsorship ticket the aim is to raise a minimum of £50 for EAAA.
For the full range of prices visit the website www.neonnightmission.co.uk or go to the Facebook page Neon Night Mission – The Ultimate 5k.
Catrina Laskey, events manager for EAAA said; 'This event is going to be something new for EAAA and the local area, with a mix-up of all the most exciting elements of a fun run. The best part is that by taking part and having a fantastic evening out you will be raising funds for EAAA and helping our crew get out to more patients, saving more lives. What could be more satisfying? And fun of course! We hope to see you all there, dressed head to toe in neon.'
For more information on the work of East Anglian Air Ambulance, visit www.eaaa.org.uk or call 03450 669 999.