Drug and alcohol rehabilitation scheme given £5,000 funding by Breckland Council
- Credit: IAN BURT
A project that will support people overcoming drug and alcohol addiction at a vulnerable stage in their transition from dependency has been awarded £5,000 funding.
Breckland Council has granted the money to DAAT (the Drug and Alcohol Addiction Team) for a new service, the 'Thetford Recovery Through Art Project'.
Also supported by Norfolk County Council, the project will be set up by Keystone Development Trust to support those recovering from drug, alcohol and mental health issues.
According to the project, research has shown that the first steps taken independently outside of professional treatment are often the hardest for recovering addicts, and that peer-to-peer support at this stage from those further along the road to recovery is beneficial. The project will provide a drop-in community facility offering arts and crafts activities where individuals can encourage and support each other at a vulnerable time.
Cllr Lynda Turner, Breckland Council Executive Member for Community and Environmental Services, said: 'Individuals have often spent many years with their lives ruled by addiction. The support offered through the project will help recovering addicts make the transition back into mainstream society, through building the levels of confidence and self-esteem needed for independent living'.
You may also want to watch:
This initiative developed following discussions between DAAT, Keystone and Norfolk's Recovery and Engagement Officer, who identified a need to provide 'second stage' support for recovering addicts to follow on from in-service treatment.
It is anticipated that, as this community hub develops, it will bring positive benefits such as social inclusion, crime reduction and integration with the wider community through volunteering programmes and employment opportunities.
- 1 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 4 Norfolk man who had sexual relationship with teen jailed
- 5 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 6 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
- 7 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 8 Funeral held for much loved windsurfer after body found in Sweden
- 9 Potential for 30C today – but two days of thunderstorms on the way
- 10 Holiday homes bid for site of former landmark hotel