Drivers warned of bridge work disruption in Lowestoft
MOTORISTS in Lowestoft are facing disruption later this month as work is carried out on the A12 Bascule Bridge.
The overnight maintence will coincide with road resurfacing work in Station Square.
Contractor Atkins is carrying out the resurfacing on behalf of the Highways Agency, and at the same time it will be assisting Associated British Ports (ABP) with traffic management during maintenance on the bridge.
The first night of work will be on Sunday, March 13 when Bascule Bridge will be closed diversions set up.
An Atkins spokesman said: 'On this first night a thorough investigation of the internal workings of the bridge will take place to assess an identified problem and a further six nights of work will then take locally place overnight.'
The will mean the Bascule Bridge will be all or partly closed to traffic on the following dates: night-time (both directions) Sunday, March 13, 6pm to 6am: night-time (both directions) Monday, March 14 to Wednesday March 16, 8pm to 6am; night-time (northbound only) Thursday March 17, 8pm to 6am; night-time (both directions) Monday March 21 and Tuesday March 22, 8pm to 6am.
The diversion route will be via Lake Lothing for all traffic. A free bus service via the diversion route will also be in place for pedestrians who will not be permitted to cross Bascule Bridge while it is totally closed to traffic.
- 1 Restaurant apologises after boy hospitalised with allergic reaction
- 2 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 3 Where the streets have no cars... the community that banned the school run
- 4 Revamped 'hidden gem' restaurant hoping to put village on map for food
- 5 'God's waiting room' - Norfolk town is country's pensioner hotspot
- 6 World record? 24 ducklings spotted waddling through Norfolk village
- 7 Former vicarage set in one acre is up for sale - and it needs some TLC
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 Fake chefs deliver out-of-date lasagne to Carrow Road ahead of Spurs clash
- 10 Cyclist airlifted to hospital with serious injuries following incident
(pedestrian access is available when northbound only is closed).
The Atkins spokesman said: 'While this work takes place, resurfacing of Station Square northbound will also be carried out on the same nights as the 8pm to 6am closures, weather permitting. We have co-ordinated the works to minimise the inconvenience locally and apologise for any inconvenience caused as a result of these works taking place.'
While northbound lanes in Station Square are being resurfaced, although access to Commercial Road will be maintained, there may be delays getting through the area so any businesses expecting overnight deliveries on the weekday dates are being urged to notify their delivery drivers to expect possible delays accessing Commercial Road.
•For further information, contact the Highways Agency 24 hour Information Line (HAIL) on: 0300 123 5000