Drivers stuck in A11 jams again, but bosses say Thickthorn lights are fixed

The Thickthorn roundabout at the junction of the A11 and the A47. Picture: Denise Bradley

The Thickthorn roundabout at the junction of the A11 and the A47. Picture: Denise Bradley - Credit: copyright: Archant 2014

Highways bosses say problems with the traffic lights at the Thickthorn roundabout have been fixed, but drivers still found themselves stuck in jams stretching back to Wymondham this evening.

Motorists have recently been facing delays travelling into Norwich on the A11, with a problem with traffic light synchronisation holding up vehicles at the roundabout.

On Tuesday, queues of over two miles were caused, when the traffic lights fell out-of-sync, Many road users vented their frustrations on social media.

Drivers and passengers were left exasperated, as defective timing allowed just a few cars off the busy road at a time before changing back to red.

This morning, there were reports on Twitter that there were delays again, but a spokeswoman for Highways England, which is responsible for the set of lights, said the problem had been fixed at 4pm on Tuesday.

She said an engineer had been sent to the scene and had managed to make the necessary changes.

She said Highways England now had a system in place which would enable them to keep a check on the lights without needing to send somebody out.

Most Read

Highways England had not been aware of any problems yesterday morning, she said, but the engineer had warned that the recalibration of the lights might not take effect instantly.

And on Thursday evening, rush hour traffic heading eastbound towards Norwich from found themselves caught up in jams yet again, with Highways England's own Traffic England website stating that traffic from Thickthorn to Wymondham was not moving and drivers were facing delays of up to 30 minutes.

Peter Lloyd was travelling back to Norwich from London as was stuck at the traffic lights waiting to get through.

He said: 'We were fifth from the front of the line and waited ages for the lights to turn green. When they eventually did they only let three cars through before they turned red again.

'We then had to wait another couple of minutes for them to turn green again.'

Drivers also took to Twitter to voice their anger at the delays, which had cleared by about 7pm.

Nathan Everitt tweeted: 'A11 queued all the way back to Wymondham, due to the Thickthorn traffic lights letting five cars through.'

Fraser McKay wrote: 'The worst it's ever been tonight, would have been quicker to walk.'

And Michael Williment said it had taken him 30 minutes to travel just two miles.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter