Driver freed after lorry overturned off A11
Lorry driver taken to hospital after crashing into ditch off the A11
A 32-year-old lorry driver had to be airifted to hospital after being trapped in his cab for almost three hours following a crash on the A11.
The articulated lorry overturned and went into a ditch following a crash with a car on the dual carriageway at Bridgham Heath, near Thetford, at about 10.25am on Saturday.
The accident happened on the Norwich-bound carriageway, which was shut, and police also had to close the Thetford-bound carriageway to allow two East Anglian Air Ambulances to land,
Four fire crews were called to the scene to free the lorry driver.
The Anglia One air ambulance was called due to the potentially serious nature of the patient's injuries.
Critical care paramedics Jemma Varela and Andy Downes attended the patient while he was trapped in his cab, administering pain relief and monitoring injuries to his leg and arm.
- 1 PICTURES: The best-dressed punters at Fakenham Ladies Day
- 2 Two Norfolk seaside hotels named among the best in Britain
- 3 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 4 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 5 City councillor investigated after Facebook golliwog post complaint
- 6 Michael McIntyre and Robert Rinder spotted at Carrow Road
- 7 Fly-tipping mattresses costs mother and son over £1,000
- 8 Norfolk police officer goes on the run to win £100,000 on Hunted
- 9 Eleventh McDonald's drive-thru could be set for Norwich
- 10 Driver caught hitting speeds of 119mph on A47
He was flown to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital at about 1.50pm and his condition was described as stable.
The Anglia Two air ambulance was also called because it was feared that the patient might require on scene anaesthesia and a Magpas doctor, authorised to perform this procedure, was aboard. But it was not needed.
Both sections of the A11 were closed for several hours and motorists faced long hold-ups and diversions.
Among those affected were Norwich City fans heaading to Saturday's Championship match at QPR.
Norwich City's Academy fixture against Chelsea on Saturday was postponed because the visitor's team coach was held up by the collision on the A11.
The Norwich-bound carriageway remained shut until 8.30pm.