Driver banned after being caught speeding 10 times in space of six weeks
A restaurateur has been disqualified from driving for 18 months after being caught speeding 10 times in six weeks, including eight times on the Orwell Bridge.
Ipswich magistrates heard how Yilmaz Kalayci, of Hervey Street, Lowestoft, had been given a six-month ban in February for two further speeding offences – including another from last year, and driving with no insurance.
On Friday (March 24), the 42-year-old had his licence endorsed with 33 points after admitting the 10 speeding offences in his Mercedes C220, and a further offence of waiting on a road when prohibited from doing so.
Prosecutor Neil Carr said the father-of-two was caught driving over the speed limit on the Orwell Bridge on August 24, August 26, August 28, September 9, September 13, September 25, September 30 and October 2.
He was clocked by the average speed cameras in the 60mph zone travelling at various speeds between 68mph and 90mph.
Another offence Kalayci committed took place at 1.58am on August 31 on the 70mph average speed camera stretch between East Bergholt and Stratford St Mary when he was travelling at 80mph. He was also caught for a second time on September 25 doing 39mph in a 30mph zone on the A12 at Wrentham.
James Hartley, mitigating, said: 'My client is remorseful.'
- 1 Case of Omicron Covid variant confirmed in north Norfolk
- 2 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 3 Norfolk college named best secondary school in the UK
- 4 Shocking footage appears to show £100m Marham jet crashing off carrier
- 5 Man charged with drink driving after crash at police station
- 6 Woman with scissors said she wanted to murder someone at supermarket
- 7 Confusion as people in Norfolk mistakenly turn up for booster jab
- 8 Waste carrier fined £1,900 after metal and containers found in woodland
- 9 NCFC LIVE: Missed chance for City against 10-man Newcastle
- 10 ‘This was our worst nightmare’: Locals shock after man dies in crash
The court heard Kalayci was not going to try to persuade magistrates a ban would be an exceptional hardship.
Mr Hartley said: 'He's realistic. We are accepting the inevitable disqualification.
'He was not aware of these speeding offences as they arose. He's not carried on regardless. He didn't actually know about these matters until police came to see him.'
The Turkish restaurant owner came to the country in 1989 and has had a full UK driving licence since 1993. Magistrates heard Kalayci travelled to London regularly to buy Turkish food and to see his family in Walthamstow.
Kalayci was said to work as a chef and 'general factotum' in his restaurant seven days a week.
Mr Hartley said: 'He pushes himself hard. He's embarrassed by the number and regularity of these offences, and he does accept at times he does go too fast.'
In addition to his latest ban Kalayci must pay a total of £1,380 in fines and costs.