Driver airlifted to hospital after Land Rover struck by train on level crossing between Cambridge and Ely -115 passengers unhurt
- Credit: Terry Harris / i-Images
A man has been airlifted to hospital after his Land Rover was struck by a train at a level crossing at Stretham between Cambridge and Ely.
First reports from the ambulance service described his injuries as 'life-threatening' but British Transport Police said the injuries are 'not believed to be life threatening'.
All 115 passengers on board the train escaped injury and are currently being transferred to another train.
British Transport Police said the train was damaged in the incident that happened at Nairns level crossing near Stetham just after 2.30pm.
The East of England Ambulance Service NHS Trust was called at 2.34pm, and sent an ambulance, three ambulance officers, the East Anglian Air Ambulance and its hazardous area response team to the scene.
The incident has severely disrupted train travel.
First indications of the incident came after a passenger on board the train tweeted that a train had struck a car.
- 1 EXCLUSIVE: US tycoons in Norwich City investment talks
- 2 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 3 Man claims supermarket fuel was contaminated as he reveals £200 repair bill
- 4 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 5 Scammers targeting Norfolk homes with fake parcel deliveries
- 6 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in Norfolk
- 7 Norwich pub selling out on Sundays with new head chef's roast dinners
- 8 'Our homes will be destroyed' - Neighbours' fears over proposed pylon route
- 9 Heavy delays on major Norfolk road after crash
- 10 Broads Authority moves to prosecute pub over caravans - again
Abellio Great Anglia has since confirmed that all services between Ely and Cambridge have been cancelled due to an 'incident.'
National Rail Inquiries say routes affected include Abellio Greater Anglia between Norwich and Cambridge and Cross Country between Birmingham New Street and London Kings Cross.
Also affected is the Great Northern service between Kings Lynn and Kings Cross.
National Rail Inquiries refer to 'an obstruction on the line near Waterbeach causing disruption to journeys between Ely and Cambridge'.
Trains between these stations may be cancelled, amended or delayed by up to 60 minutes.
Train operators are now saying services between Ely and Cambridge 'may be cancelled, amended or delayed by up to 60 minutes. Buses, operated by Great Northern, are running between Ely and Cambridge. Disruption is expected to continue until the end of service'.
Alternative travel options for CrossCountry passengers
Pasengers may use their tickets on the following:
Abellio Greater Anglia between Stansted Airport and London Liverpool Street
East Midlands Trains between Leicester and London St Pancras International
Great Northern between Cambridge / Peterborough and London Kings Cross
London Midland between Nuneaton and London Euston
Virgin Trains between Birmingham New Street and London Euston
London Underground on any reasonable route.