Dreamy Hollow campsite in north Norfolk set to become battlefield
- Credit: Archant
A campsite will become a battlefield next month when it hosts a war re-enactment.
Trench systems at Dreamy Hollow, near Stanhoe, are believed to have been dug to prepare First World War soldiers for the Western Front.
On May 6 and 7 the site will be staging displays representing different units from the first and second world wars, in aid of the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Breast Cancer Unit Fund.
Trenches at Dreamy Hollow, off the B1454 Fakenham Road, were once part of a massive 15 acre battlefield, though only 3.5 acres remain today. The battlefield was used as a live-fire training ground for the so-called Lovat Scouts and played a great role in them becoming one of the most formidable forces in the war effort, later playing a key role in both world wars.
They were known for their expert marksmanship, becoming the first sniper unit in the British Army.
You may also want to watch:
Nigel Day, managing director at Dreamy Hollow, said: 'We had a pilot last year and we've taken the things we've learnt to make this one as successful as possible.
'We hope to establish this as a regular event. I've spoken to the lads and they would be up for doing this every year.
- 1 Famous Norwich firm locked in legal battle with Red Bull
- 2 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 3 End of an era as cafe owner hangs up apron after 26 years
- 4 Location revealed for new major music festival with '90s flavour'
- 5 Huge village home with indoor swimming pool for sale for £1.2m
- 6 Former teacher who abused young boys handed 25-year sentence
- 7 Do you recognise this man?
- 8 Norfolk beach ranked among world's top tourist attractions
- 9 Huge Christmas market returning to Norfolk Showground for 2021
- 10 Bus services to be cancelled and changed amid driver shortage
'We're hoping to get as many people to come as possible. I know the guys will put on a great show.'
War at the Hollow will take place on the weekend of the 6th and the 7th at Dreamy Hollows Woodland Campsite, Fakenham Road, Stanhoe, PE31 8PX. Admission will be £5 for adults, £3 for children (5-12) and £4 for concessions.