Drayton businessman accused of false insurance claim could not explain alarm being tampered with, court told
A Norfolk man accused of setting fire to his £1 million family business told insurance loss adjusters he could not explain how an alarm system had been tampered with.
Justin Hindry, 41, of Manor Farm Close, Drayton, said he was not responsible for the fire, which ripped through Aylsham Bathroom and Kitchen Centre, in Burgh Road, Aylsham
Hindry has denied two counts of arson and two fraud charges. The charges relate to the bathroom and kitchen centre and also a fire at a static caravan at the Haven Seashore Holiday Park, in Great Yarmouth.
The prosecution at Norwich Crown Court have alleged that in both cases alarm systems had been switched off before the fires.
Giving evidence, loss adjustor Robin Harris, told how he had interviewed Hindry following the blaze at Aylsham Bathroom and Kitchen Centre, which started just before 5.30pm on June 27, 2012.
You may also want to watch:
He said that Hindry, in a statement, told how he had turned on the alarms before leaving the premises and had then driven to his father's home, in Reepham, to pick up post, as his father was away.
He said he left his mobile phone in his car and it was only when he came back to the vehicle he saw messages to say there was smoke coming out of the bathroom and kitchen centre.
- 1 Machinery sale marks end of family's 100-year farming history
- 2 Roads flooded on east coast after heavy rain
- 3 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
- 4 'An insult - Matt Hancock accused over secret visit to crumbling hospital
- 5 'Max Factor lady' - Tributes to adored gran who died in M11 layby
- 6 Appeal for rescuers to come forward following Sea Palling incident
- 7 Ghosts of business past: Empty shop units for rent for £100,000
- 8 Gypsy and travellers await planning appeal result
- 9 City recruitment chief linked with Boro exit
- 10 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
In the statement, which was read to the court, Hindry said he returned to the business premises to find firefighters at the scene and said other members of staff also turned up when they heard about the fire and were 'tearful and distressed.'
When it emerged that the alarm had been turned off and then back on again, shortly before the fire broke out, at the bathroom and kitchen centre, Hindry said he could not explain what had happened.
In a statement,he said; ''I'm not responsible for the fire. I did not re-enter the premises.'
He also said he had no idea who might have done anything.
Hindry also told the loss adjusters that the alarm system had been playing up in the months leading up to the blaze and said; 'I feel I was being suspected in some involvement in the fire.'
The trial continues.