WATCH: Dramatic drone footage shows magnitude of arson attack
- Credit: Archant
Dramatic drone footage of a 600 tonne straw fire shows the ferocity and size of the blaze.
The footage, shot by James Betts with a drone from above the fire, shows the burning haystack ablaze with thick black smoke billowing off the top.
Firefighters spent more than 15 hours at Watton Airfield after being called at around 4.45pm on Saturday, and didn't leave until nearly 8am on Sunday morning.
The fire was still burning when firefighters left, with the farmer left with a watching brief through Sunday.
Flames and smoke could be seen from villages nearby such as Griston and Carbrooke.
You may also want to watch:
Watton mayor, Tina Kiddell, said the fire was 'catastrophic' for the town.
She said: ''It is a lot of money and it is catastrophic for the farmers that this is happening. It is just awful.'
- 1 Jailed in Norfolk this week: a corrupt police officer and a domestic abuser
- 2 All the major Christmas events in Norfolk that can go ahead
- 3 Delay warnings ahead of abnormal load move
- 4 Road remains closed after serious crash on A143
- 5 Prime minister promises "February sunset" for coronavirus tiers
- 6 'There was a massive bang' - Fire outside Norwich coffee shop
- 7 Norwich water supply hit for second day running
- 8 Man in 70s dies in A143 crash
- 9 Drunk man arrested after driving into water-filled dike
- 10 Norfolk sees significant falls in Covid cases, figures show
She added it was 'alarming', and said she feared cutbacks would leave the town 'at the mercy of crime'.