Downham Market man remains in a critical condition after car crash which killed his girlfriend and son

A man seriously injured in a crash which claimed the lives of his girlfriend and baby son remained critically ill in hospital last night.

Marian Parvu, 26, was driving a gold BMW which crashed into a tree on a major route connecting Thetford and King's Lynn on September 23.

A Norfolk police spokesman confirmed he was still in intensive care at Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge following the crash on the A134 at Crimplesham, near Downham Market, but added his condition was 'improving'.

It comes as police renewed their appeal for witnesses to the crash to come forward. It is understood officers are still to talk to Mr Parvu.

It also follows the opening of the inquests into the deaths of Mr Parvu's partner Ionela Cercel, 20, and their 14-month-old son, Yanis, last month where it was revealed they were both front-seat passengers when the crash happened.

You may also want to watch:

Their bodies have also been flown back to Romania to be buried by their family. The trio had lived in the remote village of Stanesti in south-west Romania, which has a population of about 3,000.

Ms Cercel's step-sister, Gaura Nicoleta, has said the mother had lived in a small house with her son, two sisters and a brother as well as parents and her grandfather, Dudu Florea.

Most Read

Speaking through a translator, she added Ms Cercel's mother Mirela was still 'completely distraught and utterly heartbroken' following the loss of her daughter and grandson.

As previously reported in the EDP, the 20-year-old mother had flown to England with her son just four days before the fatal crash to join up with Mr Parvu, who had secured work and was living in Downham Market.

On the day of the crash, the parents went to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King's Lynn at 6am because their baby, who had been born with hydrocephalus, had a fever.

After initial tests, the 14-month-old was sent to Rudham Ward for further tests but Mr Parvu discharged his son at 7.10am. Less than 20 minutes later, the BMW driven he was driving left the A134 in Crimplesham and crashed into a tree some 12 miles away from the hospital.

Ms Cercel died close to the crash site despite the efforts of paramedics and doctors at the scene. Their 14-month-old boy was rushed back to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital but died a few hours later on his way to Addenbrooke's Hospital.

There were no other vehicles involved in the crash, which was about 400 yards away from the Main Road junction heading away from King's Lynn. It is also still not known what caused the 318 BMW to leave the road on the straight section of the road, lined with trees.

Anyone who witnessed the collision or who saw the manner of driving of the vehicle should contact Norfolk Constabulary's serious collision investigation team on 101.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus