Double joy for family as siblings’ babies arrive on the same day
As brother and sister Jason Goodey and Ellen Wade have always been close.
But now their family bond is even stronger after their baby boys ended up being born on the same day.
The rare event happened on April 28 when first Mrs Wade and husband Thomas, who live in Bawdeswell, realised their baby was on the way and little Toby was born at the Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital at 8.23am.
Little did they realise a few hours later her brother would be in delivery with his wife Kim for the birth of their son Lucas at 10.57pm.
Mrs Wade said she rang her brother that morning to tell him the good news but at that time he was at work and his heavily pregnant wife had yet to show any signs of popping.
You may also want to watch:
But just a couple of hours later he got another phone call, this time from Kim saying he really should come home as she thought their baby was about to make his appearance.
The couple, who live in Norwich, ended up at the same hospital, in the same midwife led unit.
- 1 Seven fire engines called to blaze on housing estate
- 2 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 3 Person pulled from car as rain lashes region
- 4 Pedestrian suffers life-threatening injuries in A47 crash
- 5 ‘It went up like a matchstick’ - Neighbour’s horror at blaze
- 6 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 7 Fire crews still at scene as investigation launched into house blaze
- 8 Jailed this week: Abuse, assaults and burglaries
- 9 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 10 Man airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after fight near pub
Mrs Wade said she had the surprise of her life when her brother popped his head round her curtain on the ward with her new nephew.
'When the midwives said I had a visitor I couldn't imagine who it would be at that time of night,' said Mrs Wade, 33.
'We thought there was a slim possibility they could come on the same day. I was due on the 23rd and Kim was due on the 25th. We have been keeping a close eye on each other and monitoring how we were getting on.
'I think it will bring us even closer.'
Mr Goodey, 31, said as Lucas was their second child - they also have a two-year-old daughter Jasmine - they thought that he was more likely to come early.
'It is not the only coincidence as Jasmine was born on our wedding anniversary and Ellen was born on her grandad's birthday but I think it is quite rare for this to happen,' he said.
'We knew we were both expecting boys and we did make sure we weren't both going to choose the same name. We are moving to Sparham soon so we will be just five minutes apart.'
And for proud grandparents Linda and Michael Goodey, who live in Whissonsett, the double arrival has delighted them.
'I had thought it would be nice for them to have their own birthdays but I am really chuffed with the way it has turned out,' said Mrs Goodey.
'I will treat them all the same and they only have to ask and I shall be there if I am needed.
'I think they look more like brothers than cousins and I hope they will grow up to be as close as brothers.'
* Do you have a story about an unusual coincidence? Email firstname.lastname@example.org