Puppy has lucky escape after eating deadly mushroom

Hank the Leonberger puppy, who survived eating a death cap mushroom

Hank the Leonberger puppy, who survived eating a death cap mushroom - Credit: Taverham Vet

A dog owner has spoken of her relief after her beloved puppy ate one of the United Kingdom's deadliest mushrooms - and lived.

On Halloween, Brooke Pierozynski was exploring the garden of her new home in Costessey with then 13-week-old Leonberger pup Hank, when the dog happened upon a mushroom and took a bite.

On closer inspection and using an identification app, Ms Pierozynski was led to believe the fungus the pup had chomped on was none other than a death cap - among the deadliest mushrooms a dog can eat.

The worried owner then contacted her vets who instructed her to closely monitor the dog, with the mushrooms known to be particularly dangerous to both canines and people.

Hank the dog, who had a near miss after eating a death cap mushroom

Hank the dog, who had a near miss after eating a death cap mushroom - Credit: Brooke Pierozynski

And within around eight hours, Hank started being violently sick and suffered nasty diarrhea, leaving the health professional fearing for the worst.


You may also want to watch:


She said: "After we took him to the vets I tried to keep myself as distracted as possible, but I just felt helpless, knowing there is nothing I could do."

Hank spent the best part of three days at Taverham Vets being treated for his poisoning, where he was given medication to help absorb the toxins and given regular blood tests.

A death cap mushroom found by Brooke Pierozynski

A death cap mushroom found by Brooke Pierozynski - Credit: Brooke Pierozynski

Most Read

Hayley Hyam, from Taverham Vets, said: "Luckily for Hank, his owners acted fast. His treatment was intensive involving a 72 hour stay in hospital.

"Death cap mushrooms contain toxins that adversely affect the liver and kidneys and without prompt treatment can lead to rapid organ failure."

Hank the dog, with his older brother Howie

Hank the dog, with his older brother Howie - Credit: Brooke Pierozynski

But thankfully for Ms Pierozynski, Hank responded well to the treatment and was soon back to his normal bouncy self.

His owner added: "We're watching him closely in case there is any long term damage but he seems to be back to his usual puppy self.

"We've been lucky but I just think it is so important that people be mindful of the  fact there are things like mushrooms out there that dogs could eat, particularly puppies who are yet to learn what they can and can't eat.

"I've been a dog owner for many never really thought about that too much, but this experience has really opened my eyes."


Death cap mushrooms found by Brooke Pierozynski

Death cap mushrooms found by Brooke Pierozynski - Credit: Brooke Pierozynski


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter