The EDP says... DIY waste charges have not worked
- Credit: Archant
It is clear that the introduction of DIY waste charges at the county's recycling centres has not worked.
Figures show a decline in visitors to the county's tips since their introduction, and the amount of now-chargeable waste being disposed of has dropped.
It is no surprise either, because the cost starts to add up when you have a significant amount of rubble to get rid of.
The big question is where all of this waste is now going?
The answer could lie within the district council figures, which show an increase in fly-tipping across the county.
Figures for April 2018, show an increase of more than 150 incidents, compared with the same month last year.
You may also want to watch:
Of course, it could all just be a coincidence. But this issue was predicted by North Norfolk MP Norman Lamb, as well as the Norfolk branch of the Campaign to Protect Rural England.
We all know that the council has to make savings and recoup money where it can, but it is questionable whether this is right approach.
- 1 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 2 Tributes as Leanne, 29, dies after receiving cancer 'all-clear'
- 3 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school
- 4 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 5 Horse dies two months after being set on fire
- 6 Norfolk receives overnight flood warnings
- 7 'It was like a river' - Flood damage forces couple to move out
- 8 New Tesco store to open in coastal town centre
- 9 Two Norfolk care homes among the best in region
- 10 Flood warnings along Norfolk coast, with Wells flood gate in place
The long-term impact could end up costing us all a lot more – both financially and environmentally.
The challenge is now with the newly-appointed Norfolk County Council leader Andrew Proctor to look at reviewing these charges.
Earlier this month he went on record to say the waste charges did not 'sit well' with him.
It will be interesting to know if he still feels that way and, if so, what he intends to do about it.