District councillor pulls out of Wymondham Kings Head Meadow review
A district councillor has pulled out of leading an independent review into the proposed sale of a Wymondham green space.
Solicitor Christopher Kemp had been approached by Wymondham Town Council to look into the way it handled plans to sell off Kings Head Meadow for a supermarket development.
Councillors made a U-turn this year and decided against selling the public green space to Asda following opposition from local residents.
However, the town council confirmed this week that Dr Kemp had withdrawn from carrying out a review into the circumstances surrounding the council's decision to enter into a conditional contract for the sale of the meadow and to establish whether the town council's standing orders were correctly followed.
Town clerk Trevor Gurney said that Dr Kemp, the Conservative district councillor for Cringleford, had withdrawn because of 'conflicts of interest' and the matter was likely to be discussed at the next town council meeting on June 6.
You may also want to watch:
Councillors had been asked to refrain from public comment on the Kings Head Meadow issue until the outcome of the review.
Asda had begun a consultation over its plans for Kings Head Meadow - the home of Wymondham Town Football Club - until the town council's decision to stop the sale of the green space off Norwich Road. Objectors established Wymondham Asks Why (WAW) to save the meadow from being developed on.
- 1 Son's plea for help as mum, 87, goes missing from care home
- 2 Man in critical condition after Norwich assault
- 3 Covid Delta variant cases double in Norfolk
- 4 This charming village pub is worth travelling to from across Norfolk
- 5 Weather warning for thunderstorms this week after Monday heat
- 6 Broads pub with 'bags of potential' for sale for £375,000
- 7 11 Norfolk cafés perfect for outdoor dining
- 8 Neighbours tell of shock as murder probe launched
- 9 Woman airlifted to hospital following equestrian accident in Beccles
- 10 Seller took motorbike for one last ride – and did 119mph on NDR