Diss man set for gruelling charity challenge
A fundraiser from Diss is preparing to cycle the length of the country to help a charity close to his heart.
David Appleton will set off from Land's End in Cornwall on September 8, and is hoping to reach John O'Groats just over a week later to raise money for Diabetes UK.
The 50-year-old decided to do his first big cycling challenge because his wife, Sophie, lives with Type 1 diabetes
He said: 'I know Diabetes UK does a lot of excellent work across the country for people with diabetes, and it is a cause that's very close to mine and my wife's heart. I'm hoping to raise as much money as possible through doing this challenge.'
'I've always enjoyed cycling, but this is the first time I've really attempted anything quite on this scale, so hopefully I'll make it through in one piece. I've been doing a lot of training so far, and it's certainly been tough but I'm feeling ready now and I can't wait to get started.'
You may also want to watch:
Louise Rout, regional fundraising manager in Diabetes UK's Eastern Region, said: 'This is certainly a daunting task, but I know David has been training for a while so I'm sure he'll be absolutely fine.'
'We have a lot of great fundraisers in this region, and David is another one of those so we thank him sincerely for the money and awareness he has raised through this challenge.'
- 1 Murder investigation launched after woman found dead following house fire
- 2 11 Norfolk cafés perfect for outdoor dining
- 3 Thieves swam across river to steal paddleboards from new firm
- 4 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 5 Man in critical condition after Norwich assault
- 6 Child taken to hospital after being pulled from the sea
- 7 In pictures: England fans enjoy Euro 2020 win at Norwich fan park
- 8 'Be responsible' - coastguard issues warning after seven-year-old is rescued from sea
- 9 Murdered Norfolk mum's bravery has helped family through their darkest days
- 10 Plans proposed for 'flexible' space in derelict area of popular park
People can still donate at www.virginmoneygiving.com/davidappleton/4