Diss High academy consultation extended

Diss High School has moved a step closer to becoming an academy after beginning the application process with central government.

Governors at the school said they would start to develop a business plan for academy status, but insisted that they had not made a final decision.

A public consultation took place last month, but the school has extended the process until May 3 for more discussions with students, parents, staff and local people.

Chair of governors, Tony Billett, said: 'We have processed hundreds of responses from parents, students and staff. A majority of parents support the proposal to become an academy but some are unsure and would like more information. Some staff would also welcome more information.'

'In the meantime, the school will begin the formal application process to the Department for Education. This does not commit the school in any way but allows governors to explore the matter in more depth and to develop a business plan for further consideration.'

The board of governors added that an Association of School and College Leaders poll of secondary schools this month revealed that nearly 50pc of secondary schools across the country are considering academy status and only 19pc of schools are opposed to it.