Diss Carnival cheques hand over marks end of era
- Credit: Archant
The final end of a committee that was dedicated to bringing fun times to Diss has taken place with £1,400 handed out to three good causes.
Earlier this year the Diss Carnival Committee saw a slew of retirements with a final meeting of the retiring group voting unamimously to donate any remaining funds to organisations or charities for the benefit the local community.
And this week the final act of the former committee saw the Friends of Diss Health Centre handed £600, the East Anglian Air Ambulance given £500 and Diss Salvation Army, which had a rockery smashing stall at previous carnivals and also provided marquees, was handed £300 as a thank you.
Doreen Collins, who had been the carnival organiser and been involved in all nine previous annual events, said the handover of the cheques was 'a sad event' as it formally marked the end of an era.
Mrs Collins, who announced her retirement in May, added: 'The committee members wanted to hand out this money to benefit good causes in the area.'
You may also want to watch:
The Friends of Diss Health Centre will use the money to fund services and facilities, the Salvation Army will use their slice of funding for a catering shed and the air ambulance funds will help to keep the lifesaving team flying.
A new Diss Carnival Committee has been formed. Led by Chris Moyse it is drawing up plans for next summer's event.
- 1 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 2 Police action over 'slavery' flag flying in Norwich garden
- 3 'It was divine' - Why this seafood platter is receiving rave reviews online
- 4 Garage owner has five months to clear site or face jail
- 5 'Shocked' couple almost given wrong Covid jab
- 6 ‘You’re trespassing’ - What happened when we gave Matt Hancock QEH petition
- 7 Owners put Tudor mansion wedding venue up for sale for £3.9m
- 8 Firefighters ripping out thatch to stop house fire spreading
- 9 Six North Norfolk beaches awarded blue flag status for summer 2021
- 10 Safety review promised as cyclist killed in crash is named