Diss air cadets crowned the best in Norfolk and Suffolk
Air cadets from 1070 (Diss) Squadron had a weekend to remember when they won the highly coveted Norfolk and Suffolk Wing Field competition.
Twenty-nine cadet teams from across Norfolk and Suffolk assembled at West Tofts Camp, near Thetford, for two days of challenges to establish the best team in the two counties.
The Diss team won the competition for the first time since it started in 1991. They also won the aircraft recognition contest for the third year in a row, the shooting for the second year in a row, fieldcraft for the second time in three years and the minibus pull.
Each team consisting of eight cadets competed across nine diverse events from first aid to raft building.
Team captain, Flight Sgt Ben Kerry, 18, a former pupil at Hartismere High School, said: 'We've been training hard since January and to win the overall trophy is just so amazing, we couldn't believe it when they called our name out.'
Commanding officer Flight Lt Emma Dixon, added: 'The cadets have worked really hard these past few months, we are all so proud of them. Four years ago the squadron came 26th and to come from there to winning is testament to the hard work everyone has put in'.
The Diss air cadets parade every Tuesday and Thursday, at the Drill Hall, Sunnyside, Diss from 7pm till 9.30pm.
- 1 Holiday Inn to become 'care hotel' to help struggling hospitals
- 2 One of East Anglia's largest property builders is sold to investment firm
- 3 People are driving for hours to visit this loaded fries and doughnut kiosk
- 4 War-time bomb lay dormant for 80 years before exploding under fishing boat
- 5 'We will all miss him': Poignant tributes paid to 'brilliant' solicitor
- 6 Woman in 40s airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency
- 7 Norwich firm part of growing number of businesses working four day weeks
- 8 £1,000 reward offered to anyone who can help bring home missing dog
- 9 Meet the new team behind revamped village pub
- 10 Arrive by boat at new Norfolk wedding venue