Disappointed skaters gather support to bring an ice rink back to Norwich following closure of Planet Ice
With ice skaters still reeling from the decision to shut Norwich's only ice rink this week, campaigners are already trying to rally interest in bringing an ice rink back to the city.
The owner of Planet Ice, Arena Group UK, is yet to confirm its intentions for the Drayton High Road site but Norwich North MP Chloe Smith, is remaining hopeful there could be a future for ice skating in the city.
Miss Smith said: 'It is a shame to see this rink close down.
'It has been established for some time and is highly valued.
'I would like to see all options looked into for what other facilities could be made available for ice sports in the Norwich area.
'I'm aware of the distances that players and sports fans have to travel from Norwich, if that is to Peterborough or other facilities.
'It is one of the difficulties of playing competitive sports in Norwich sometimes as it can be quite far away to other teams.
- 1 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 2 Norfolk car dealership and MOT centre named among best in the country
- 3 WATCH: Moment hero doorman tackles knifeman during Norwich triple stabbing
- 4 Man who died in Old Buckenham crash named
- 5 'It was horrible' - Shock as woman robbed and assaulted in broad daylight
- 6 Tributes to 'kind and caring' Norwich man with a love of chess and walking
- 7 'This affects everyone' - Erosion strikes Hemsby again
- 8 Bid to build 70-bed care home and 24 affordable houses
- 9 'Fantastic' barn conversion with golf simulator and games room is for sale
- 10 'Like touching grim reaper's nose': Teenager lucky to be alive after crash
'But I am also aware of plans at various times for additional facilities so I would encourage any possible investors to explore every option.'
Frustrated skaters have already taken to social networking website Twitter to try to gather support for an ice rink remaining in Norwich. Using the hashtag #bringbackouricerink, a method of searching a specific subject on the website, the skaters have vented their frustrations about the closure.
Karen Steadman (@ArtOrdinary) wrote: 'So many talented young skaters in Norwich now without an ice rink.'
Keith Jeremiah (@keithjeremiah) tweeted: 'Is it not a disgrace that Norwich's ice rink closes, denying many keen youngsters opportunities in an Olympic year?'
- What do you think? Write to Evening News Letters, Prospect House, Rouen Road, Norwich NR1 1RE or email email@example.com