Disabled sports charity receives £4.5k donation from Freemason group
- Credit: Archant
A charity which helps people with disabilities take part in sport has received a £4,500 donation from a group of Norfolk Freemasons.
Members of the Wroxham-based Boileau Lodge have completed a triathlon to raise funds for Wheelpower, which offers opportunities for disabled people to get active.
Freemasonry is celebrating its 300th anniversary in 2017, with a series of sporting challenges. Robin Rush cycled 300km in Norfolk to mark 300 years; while Steve Kemp ran 20.17km, and Michelle Kemp completed a 3km swim, one for every century.
Chris Rattenbury, an ambassador for WheelPower said: 'I was delighted to receive the cheque and meet those who have made this very generous donation possible.
'The money will go towards a second Primary Sports Camp to be held in Norfolk.
You may also want to watch:
'The first, held in 2016, introduced 69 children to cricket, wheelchair basketball, boccia, table games and golf.'
Mr Rush, who is 76 years old but still very active, said: 'There are so many youngsters with disabilities wanting to join in with activities, so this has been my charity focus in our Tercentenary year'.
- 1 Indian variant Covid cases in Norfolk 'cause to be cautious'
- 2 Norfolk farmhouse with indoor pool for sale by online auction
- 3 Heavy downpours and strong winds to batter Norfolk
- 4 Man in 30s airlifted to hospital following serious fall
- 5 City poised for Maddison cash boost
- 6 Riverside pub welcomes customers again with new owners
- 7 Best bargain ever? Village hall for sale for £35,000
- 8 Inquest into death of 22-year-old swimmer at Norfolk beauty spot
- 9 Man drowned after drifting out onto lake on air bed
- 10 Staff at food firm receive £900 bonus each
Mr Kemp, who is also a keen sportsman added: 'I have been involved with WheelPower helping to organise events and have seen how much support is given to help people with disabilities participate in sport.
'Robin and I have experienced so much pleasure from sport, we want to help others do the same'.