Did you know? Palmers was damaged in wartime air-raid on Great Yarmouth

Palmers car park in Yarmouth in 1962.
PLATE P7258

Palmers car park in Yarmouth in 1962. PLATE P7258 - Credit: Archant

1837 Garwood Burton Palmer opens small drapery shop of 750sq ft in Great Yarmouth Market Place

Graham Sturrock, the former managing director of Palmers department store, died at the James Paget H

Graham Sturrock, the former managing director of Palmers department store, died at the James Paget Hospital after a short illness on a short illness on Monday, November 7, 2011. He was 88 years old. - Credit: Palmers department store

1837 Queen Victoria crowned following death of William IV

HIDDEN ARCADE: Palmers department store in Great Yarmouth Market Place in the 1960s when Row 54 – wh

HIDDEN ARCADE: Palmers department store in Great Yarmouth Market Place in the 1960s when Row 54 where Malcolm Metcalf and his family once lived still divided the premises. Palmers Arcade, as the row was known, became part of the store in the 1970s. Picture: MERCURY LIBRARY - Credit: Archant

1837–1880 Expansion by acquiring adjacent shops and cottages behind the store until by 1880 there was a long narrow store stretching back 200 feet and extending between Rows 54 and 56

1888 Garwood Palmer died. His two nephews, James and Ernest, took over and the firm became known as Palmers Bros

1892 The store was destroyed by fire. A new store was built incorporating a unique covered arcade in Row 54

1902 Palmers was the first public building in Great Yarmouth to be lit by electricity

1907 Further additions giving the store 31 departments and a floor area 3o times bigger than the original shop

Most Read

1908 James Palmer died. His son, Percy takes over

1908 Palmers apprenticeship scheme started.

1921 Palmers start making batons for Sir Henry Wood, founder of the Promenade concerts

1939 Incorporation – company becomes Palmers Ltd

1937 Centenary celebrations

1941 Store damaged by German bombing raid

1960 Percy Palmer died. His son-in-law, Graham Sturrock becomes chairman

1961 Palmers car park opened

1961 Plumptons of Bury St Edmunds purchased

1966 New shopfront with arcade display windows. Row 54 closed and incorporated into store

1967 Palmers Coffee Room opens

1981 Founder members of Association of Department Stores allowing Palmers to be competitive with the larger groups but still retain the personal service that only an independent can give

1986 New shopfront incorporating arcade windows into selling space

1987 Princess Alexandra officially launches Palmers' 150th anniversary celebrations

1993 Bruce Sturrock becomes Chairman

1993 Wendy Cole (nee Sturrock) joins Palmers from Bloomingdales in New York

1997 Palmers Pinnacle – a pinnacle on St Nicholas Church is named after Palmers following a donation to the church restoration fund to mark the store's 160th anniversary

2000 Palmers Millennium Dome – Palmers awarded architectural prize for the refurbishment of an ornate 19th century skylight on 1st floor

2004 Chadds of Lowestoft purchased

2006 Company restructure – Bruce and Wendy become sole owners

2008 Palmers start selling online

2011 Emma Sturrock joins the company and sets up new website www.palmerstores.com

2012 Prince Charles visits Palmers to mark the stores 175th Anniversary

2017 180th Anniversary celebrations

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter