Did Prime Minister Theresa May pull out of visit to Great Yarmouth?
- Credit: PA
It has been claimed that the prime minister was due to be in Great Yarmouth yesterday to give an election speech - but pulled out.
The allegation against Theresa May was made by the Daily Mirror, which said she was due to give a stump speech but 'axed the trip at the last minute'.
The newspaper sent the Mirror Chicken to the town to ask the Conservative Party leader to take part in a live television showdown with her rivals.
A Conservative Party spokeswoman was asked by this newspaper to comment on the following question: 'Could you confirm if she( Theresa May) was due to come and cancelled or is it not true at all?'
The spokeswoman replied in a statement: 'The Prime Minister did not go to Norfolk today.'
You may also want to watch:
Great Yarmouth MP Brandon Lewis, who was at a debate in Westminster Hall yesterday afternoon, said the Daily Mirror was playing 'silly politics' and he and Mrs May were focused on improving the lives of the town's residents.
In 2015 Mrs May visited Great Yarmouth.
- 1 Latest situation on fuel sees more queues despite continued assurances
- 2 County welcomes tankers but motorists continue to queue for fuel
- 3 Former DJ and worker at Norfolk school was a 'deviant sexual predator'
- 4 Jailed in Norfolk: Paedophiles and man caught with £15k of cannabis
- 5 Seaside restaurant hit with zero food hygiene rating
- 6 Flowers left by road in tribute after man's death
- 7 Roadworks to be aware of in Norfolk this week
- 8 'It's looking bleak' - City taxi firms respond to panic-buying at the pumps
- 9 Norfolk scams: Rogue gardeners and fake energy salespeople
- 10 More than 300 homes hit by power cut in mid Norfolk
She was the guest of honour at AID industrial in Great Yarmouth, a company that specialises in working at height training, to hear about its apprenticeship schemes and talk to those currently on one of the courses.