Diamond milestone for Beccles couple
- Credit: copyright ARCHANT 2017
A couple who have lived in their same Beccles home all their married life have celebrated a diamond milestone.
Norman and Hilda Fiske grew up in nearby Shipmeadow and Weston and met at a flower show at Barsham Village Hall.
After courting for around three years, they were married at All Saints Church in Ringsfield on July 29, 1957, surrounded by family and friends, and held a reception afterwards at Shadingfield Village Hall.
Mr Fiske, now 91, worked at the former Green's Flour Mill, just a few doors up from his current home in St George's Road, for three years before serving in the army from 1944 to 1947.
He returned to the flour mill until it closed in 1949 and worked for 16 years at Clowes printing works in Beccles in a variety of roles. At that time, it was based at the former Clowes site in the town centre where Tesco now stands.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Fiske, now 82, stayed at home to look after their two sons Peter and Christopher, and helped to care for an elderly friend.
As well as their sons, they now also have seven grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren who over the years they have enjoyed taking on many trips out.
- 1 Road closed due to accident after car reportedly flips on to its roof
- 2 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 3 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 4 Person pulled from car as rain lashes region
- 5 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 6 Dad's heartache over daughter's suicide and his fight to help others
- 7 Rovers return? New landlords relaunch village pub with parties and Sunday lunches for dogs
- 8 Part of A47 closed due to crash
- 9 Police appeal for witnesses after pedestrian struck by car on A47
- 10 Club reopens after Covid cases among staff and customers
Mr Fiske's hobbies include photography, creating matchstick models and completing puzzles - some of which are displayed on the walls at home.
Meanwhile Mrs Fiske collects spoons and has a display of more than 270, again proudly displayed on the wall. Many of them have been brought back from trips abroad by friends and family.
The couple celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary with a party at Ringsfield Village Hall on July 1, and were delighted to receive a card from The Queen.
When asked the secret to their long and happy marriage, Mr Fiske said: 'It's all about give and take. And we don't go to bed on an argument, we always have to settle it.'
Mrs Fiske added: 'We have always shared everything and enjoyed going places together.'
Is someone you know celebrating a special milestone? Email the details to firstname.lastname@example.org