Diamond Cromer couple in perfect step together
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2017
They may have been in perfect step since meeting at a dance, but life has been far from routine for Terry and Yvonne Nolan.
More than 60 years after taking to the floor for the first time the devoted couple have celebrated their diamond wedding anniversary.
The decades since have been more than eventful with Mrs Nolan serving as Cromer Mayor and her husband as chief executive of North Norfolk District Council for 21 years.
Romance started with a chance meeting at a Margate dance hall way back in 1954. The pair were enjoying a night out with a friends from the Kent school they had both attended. After dating for three years they married on January 19, 1957.
'I was doing national service and having a night out with some old school chums when I saw Yvonne was with a group of girls from the school,' recalled Mr Nolan.
'I must have asked her to dance and we have been dancing ever since. Our favourite routines were the waltz and quick step. We go on a lot of cruises and still like to take to the dancefloor.'
Mr Nolan, 82, spent his career in local government after training with Kent County Council.
- 1 Doctors baffled by teenager's horrific long Covid symptoms
- 2 Norfolk man amongst UK's 12 most wanted
- 3 'Once in a lifetime catch' - man lands monster fish in Norfolk
- 4 Council leader arrested after suspected drink driving on Christmas Day
- 5 Music-loving dad whose ashes were fired into festival crowd took own life
- 6 Revealed: Travelodge behind multi-million pound hotel development
- 7 Man threatened to petrol bomb ex-partner's home
- 8 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in the UK
- 9 Man who survived motorcycle crash died from Covid, inquest told
- 10 Hot tub wrecked after car smashes through garden wall from Wilkos car park
He worked in Oxfordshire, Cornwall and Somerset before being appointed clerk to Walsingham Rural District Council and then served as chief executive of NNDC from 1973 to 1994.
A keen sportsman in his younger days, Mr Nolan was a Cromer Cricket Club committee member for several years.
Mrs Nolan, 80, has been a Cromer Town councillor for almost two decades and was mayor of the town in 2010-11.
The couple have two sons, Wayne and Julian, and a five-year-old grandson Henry.
'Discussing everything and coming to an agreement' is the secret of a successful marriage according to Mrs Nolan.
She added: 'Terry was also a very good consort when I was mayor and did what he was told.
'We have always been interested in what is going on around us and I still enjoy being part of the council. We are lucky to have been together all this time - life has been very kind to us.'
Family members joined the couple for an anniversary celebration at The Dales Country House Hotel in Upper Sheringham last week - and their special day was made complete with a card from the Queen.