Dereham woman rammed police officer blocking entry to illegal rave

Chelsea Harvey arriving at Lincoln Crown Courts

Chelsea Harvey arriving at Lincoln Crown Courts - Credit: ┬ęStephen Daniels

A Dereham woman who tried to ram through a police roadblock preventing access to an illegal rave struck a police officer and drove on with him on the bonnet of her car, a court heard.

Chelsea Harvey, 21, of Ashley Walk, has been jailed for 12 months after attempting to drive her Peugeot 206 through the roadblock set up by officers on a slip road off the A1 at Colsterworth, cutting off the rave at nearby Twyford Woods.

James Bide-Thomas, prosecuting, told Lincoln Crown Court that Harvey simply drove on with PC Rob Bentley on her bonnet, reaching speeds of up to 30mph.

Harvey, who had two female friends in her car, weaved from side to side in a bid to dislodge the officer.

At one point she collided with a camper van but continued for a further 115 metres.

You may also want to watch:

Other officers then smashed a window of the car and Harvey and her two friends were arrested.

PC Bentley sustained minor injuries including bruising to his arm and leg, but also suffered serious psychological damage and has been diagnosed with post- traumatic stress disorder.

Most Read

Mr Bide-Thomas said that as Harvey reached the roadblock PC Bentley placed his hands on the bonnet of her car and shouted at her to stop.

The prosecutor added: 'The vehicle's engine was revving. It was jerking forward in a way described as kangarooing.

'Then it jerked forward more violently and this caused PC Bentley to come off his feet. He was spread-eagled on the bonnet of the Peugeot. He had his hand through the open driver's side window and grabbed hold of the support. With his other hand he grabbed hold of the aerial of the roof but the aerial snapped off.

'PC Bentley was attempting to punch his way through the windscreen and shouting at the defendant to stop the car. He described the vehicle at one point as braking heavily, he thought in an attempt to throw him off. The window was wound up, trapping his fingers. The vehicle then came to a halt. The defendant and her two friends were later arrested.'

Harvey admitted dangerous driving at Colsterworth, near Grantham, as a result of the incident on May 23 last year. She was jailed for 12 months and disqualified from driving for a year.

Jonathan Straw, in mitigation, said Harvey works in a centre for deaf-blind people run by the charity Sense.

He described her as acting in 'blind panic' and added: 'She is very sorry for what happened. She didn't intend to hurt anyone. She went out with two friends that day simply to enjoy a party.'

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter