Do you have spirit? Let’s hear it! Cheerleading squad launches at football club
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2020
“When we say Magpies, you say go - Magpies, go! Magpies, go!”
This is just one of the many chants that could soon be ringing out of the grounds at Aldiss Park, home to Dereham Town Football Club.
It comes following the launch of a new cheerleading squad and upcoming tryouts next week.
Put together by cheer squad coach, Abbe Spencer, who currently runs the Swanton Morley Rockets, described the opportunity as an exciting one for the area.
Speaking about the newly formed Dereham Town Magpies, she said: “Coming from a dance and gymnastics background, as well as seeing competitive cheer through my daughter’s squad, I was instantly influenced to get involved.
You may also want to watch:
“Cheerleading is not the stereotype of chanting and pom poms, its an official sport, including stunts, tumbling, jumps and dance all combined to music.”
Mrs Spencer currently coaches two non-competitive display teams, made up of children aged from four to 11 years old.
- 1 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 2 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 3 New women's only fitness studio to open in Norwich
- 4 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 5 Part of A47 closed due to crash
- 6 School bus drivers 'risked children's lives' with illegal long shifts
- 7 Two people injured in A47 crash
- 8 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 9 ‘Can you let me off?’ pleads driver doing 90mph in 50mph zone
- 10 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
She added: “The children are so enthusiastic to learn and love working as a team, building healthy friendships.
“I wanted to bring that to Dereham Town Football Club, not only on match days but also at local events in the community.
“I have always been a huge football fan and often followed my dad’s successes coaching a team in Kent. Bringing support to your local club will always build a positive influence in that team and the community involved.
“Now we are involved in a new, exciting development in sport combining cheer and football.
“We hope to put together a squad that Dereham Town FC will be proud of.”
The Rockets first displayed at the match between Dereham Town and Coggeshall Town earlier this year. They were an instant hit with the crowds, including The Voice judge and former X-Factor contestant Olly Murs, who is a director at Coggeshall Town Football Club.
DTFC chairman Ashley Bunn said: “We are delighted to announce this partnership as we have been working hard with Abbe Spencer to bring this together.
“It is another great offering at the football club and something that we hope will really benefit the people of our community.”
- Tryouts take place on August 10 and 11 from 2pm at Aldiss Park, and are for young people aged between 11 and 18 years old. For more information, or to book a spot, contact Mrs Spencer on 07814 003039 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.