Dereham Sixth Form College and Northgate High School showcase creativity with summer art exhibition
- Credit: Dereham Sixth Form
It boasts the accolade of being Norfolk's top performing art department three years running and now visitors to Dereham Sixth Form College will be able to see the reason why.
The college, and academy partner Northgate High School, will be opening their doors to the public from 5pm to 7pm on Wednesday, June 7 for their Summer Exhibition.
Visitors will be able to see all the students' work at both venues from fine art to textiles and photography to graphic design.
A celebration of success is reflected in the exhibition at Dereham Sixth Form College.
Its value added rating is in the top one percent of the whole country for fine art, graphics and art, craft and design, and in the top five percent for photography.
You may also want to watch:
Value added shows students' improvements from when they start, with their target grades, until they leave at A level.
Head of art, Louise Chapman, was 'very excited' to have the department's achievements officially recognised.
- 1 Driver who died in A47 crash had medical episode
- 2 Plans to open McDonald's on outskirts of town in 2022
- 3 Chance to have your say over 4,000-home development
- 4 First look as Norwich's new £2.75m recycling centre opens
- 5 Birds of prey found shot and poisoned during raid in Norfolk
- 6 Reader letter: How Roy Hodgson can save Norwich City
- 7 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 8 Woman in 70s knocked over by cyclist at bus station
- 9 'Ugly' Norfolk pub fight was sparked by act of revenge, court hears
- 10 Norwich man found guilty of 33-year-old's murder
Together with Northgate High the two have a partnership that reflects shared values - the importance of striving to achieve excellence, the value of education and the potential of creative thinking.
Maureen Mottley, who is head of art and design at Northgate High School and teaches at the College, said: 'It is a mistake to think that Norwich is the creative hub when our education here in Dereham is the best in the county and we are very proud of our kids.'
At Northgate High School the Summer Exhibition is a showcase for experimental and innovative works of art from all of the GCSE Art & Design specifications. Within the gallery foyer space there will be a diverse range of art works creatively knitted together from the current Year 11 pupils.
Although the art work on display only represents a fraction of the work produced by pupils over the two years, the art exhibited represents a diverse and culturally rich body of work accumulated from a range of starting points.
Ms Chapman said: 'We hope all visitors to the Summer Exhibition will be inspired by the passion, commitment and creativity on display.'
Dereham Sixth Form College is on Crown Road in Dereham and Northgate High School is on Cemetery Road.
All are welcome.