Dereham pub teams walk to help soldiers with stress
- Credit: Archant
Teams from six Dereham pubs dressed up to take part in a walk to raise money for the PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) charity Resolution, which supports retired soldiers suffering from combat stress.
Groups from the Railway Tavern, the Metro, the Red Lion, Saity's Bar, the Cherry Tree and the Old Eagle joined forces on Saturday to walk about two miles through the town centre, carrying collection buckets.
Railway Tavern landlord Paul Sandford said: 'It went really well. We had about 100 participants of all ages and raised more than £700. The reaction from the public was good and most people donated.'
The charity is asking pubs to help fundraise by organising events through its Pub Hub initiative, which focuses on pubs as centres of community life. It's aimed at raising awareness locally of military PTSD and the charity.
Mr Sandford added: 'I know some people suffering from PTSD and the charity chose us to carry out the walk. They are trying to raise enough money for a local counsellor for the area.'
Through a nationwide network of 200 therapists, PTSD Resolution provides treatment to help veterans and reservists resolve the mental health problems associated with military trauma that stop them reintegrating into normal life and to build relationships.
The therapy includes just three to four one-hour sessions, and is complementary to the work of other services' charities,
- 1 Broads Authority moves to prosecute pub over caravans - again
- 2 Part of A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 3 See inside this idyllic family home up for sale with NO nearby neighbours
- 4 EXCLUSIVE: The faces behind City's prospective US investment
- 5 Former coastal restaurant up for auction
- 6 Man claims supermarket fuel was contaminated as he reveals £200 repair bill
- 7 Thousands expected to attend huge four-day steam extravaganza
- 8 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 9 Motorcylist in 50s in hospital with serious injuries after tyre shop crash
- 10 Multiple fire crews tackle farm blaze overnight
For more information about the PTSD Resolution charity, call 0300 302 0551 for more information.
Are you organising a charity event? Email email@example.com