Dereham soccer academy win national championship
- Credit: DESA
Dereham Education and Soccer Academy (DESA)’s under-18 team is celebrating the phenomenal achievement of national victory in the Nerf Junior Premier League.
“We didn’t get off to a very good start in the league - we were bottom of the league after our first two games,” said coach Tom Parke.
“But we worked really hard on fitness, and then we went unbeaten for nine consecutive games.”
The team became regional champions following a 1-0 win against Netherton United, on Tuesday May 18.
They then defeated South of England champions CM Academy 2-0 on Thursday May 27, before triumphing against Northern winners FC Unsworth 1-0 on Saturday June 19.
You may also want to watch:
“We took this team on at under 16s and they were not at the time regarded as Norfolk’s better players, there was a lot of work to be done,” said Mr Parke.
“The players and staff have worked really hard for three seasons and to see that team win, who weren’t meant to be the most talented on paper, is a massive achievement.”
- 1 New virus named after Norfolk village
- 2 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 3 Driving instructor shares terrifying videos of NDR near misses
- 4 Tzolis poised to complete Canaries switch
- 5 No club record bid from City for Armstrong
- 6 City closing in on Werder Bremen striker
- 7 Covid-19 outbreak at hotel 'goes back to Latitude' - but guests not pinged
- 8 'Truly sorry' glamping owner apologises after negative reviews
- 9 Jailed in July: Drug dealing, knife crime and manslaughter
- 10 Man in 30s dies after crash on A12
“They’re absolutely delighted and hungry to kick on and bring more silverware back.”