Dereham-based Zumba instructor signs up to Norwich’s Starlight Walk
A school teacher is set to walk under the stars around Norwich in memory of her best friend.
Laura Martin has signed up to take part in the Starlight Walk on Friday, June 22, in aid of Macmillan Cancer Support.
Now in its seventh year, the annual fundraiser will see hundreds of men and women walk 13 miles around Norwich's outer ring road.
Miss Martin will be taking part in the event for the second year running. The 38-year-old lost her friend Kevin Rook to bowel cancer in 2006 after a one year battle with the disease.
Zumba instructor Miss Martin, who lives near Dereham and works at Wayland Academy, said: 'The support Kevin had from Macmillan was absolutely fantastic; it was just amazing.'
You may also want to watch:
The walk, organised by the Sportspark and sponsored by Chapelfield shopping centre, starts and finishes at the Sportspark.
Last year, just under 600 people took part in the Evening News-supported walk and raised more than �52,000.
- 1 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 2 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 3 Driver in hospital after BMW car ends up in ditch
- 4 9 pubs and restaurants which have had lockdown makeovers
- 5 'Very small' number of Indian Covid variant cases in Norfolk
- 6 Lorry driver admits causing deaths of two people in A47 crash
- 7 Hospital opens new £625,000 cancer wellbeing and support centre
- 8 Road cleared after three-vehicle collision on A47
- 9 Norfolk covid levels below national average but concerns raised about variants
- 10 Social distancing stops fish and chip shop's restaurant opening on May 17
It is hoped 1,000 people will sign up this year.
Registration costs �25, all of which goes straight to Macmillan Cancer Support in Norfolk.
To register for this year's walk, go to www.starlightwalknorwich.co.uk
Are you taking part in an event for charity? Email email@example.com