Denver Sluice back in action after repairs to its storm-damaged gates.
- Credit: Matthew Usher
Two of its three pairs of tidal gates, known as eyes because they open and close, were rendered inoperable by the December storm surge.
Temporary dam boards were installed in the aftermath of the event to prevent further damage and ensure the continued flood protection of communities as far inland as Ely and Cambridge.
Julie Foley, area manager for the Environment Agency said: 'The gates are an integral part of the flood defences which protect people and property from flooding in the area.
'The tidal surge which caused the damage was the most significant tidal surge in 60 years - it severely tested the flood defences along the whole of the East Coast. It's good to get the sluice back in full working order.'
Damaged gates were lifted out and taken away to be repaired in June. The Environment Agency used divers to carry out a full inspection of the sluice and complete other minor maintenance repairs.
You may also want to watch:
The sluice gates were dropped back into place earlier this week and now the gates are back in full working order. The works, costing £60,000, were completed by AMCO on behalf of the Environment Agency.
A sluice has stood where the Ten Mile Ouse meets the tidal river since the Mid-17th Century. It opens to allow water from inland to flow out to sea, but closes when the tide comes in to prevent water levels rising and the risk of flooding further upstream.
- 1 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 4 Norfolk man who had sexual relationship with teen jailed
- 5 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 6 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
- 7 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 8 The Range confirms new store at former Outfit on retail park
- 9 Funeral held for much loved windsurfer after body found in Sweden
- 10 Man charged with attempted murder after serious Norwich assault