Man who found hair in burger refused Deliveroo refund as it’s ‘a matter of personal taste’
- Credit: Archant
A Norwich man has hit out at a delivery website after he was denied a refund for a burger that arrived at his door with hair in it.
Darren Wood ordered from Deliveroo at 7pm on Sunday, hoping to tuck into a tasty bacon cheeseburger from Byron in Chapelfield Plain.
But he found black hairs lurking in his snack and emailed customer services to ask for a refund, to be told by an advisor it wasn't possible.
Both Deliveroo and Byron have since apologised and he has even been offered a free meal.
The advisor wrote: 'I'm sorry to hear you weren't happy with you order however I'm unable to offer a refund or credit as this is a matter of personal taste.
'Please accept our apologies.'
Mr Wood then replied to the advisor and said: 'I'm not sure having hair in your food is to anyone's taste to be honest.'
- 1 Doctors baffled by teenager's horrific long Covid symptoms
- 2 'Once in a lifetime catch' - man lands monster fish in Norfolk
- 3 Norfolk man amongst UK's 12 most wanted
- 4 Council leader arrested after suspected drink driving on Christmas Day
- 5 Pub near Dereham has its first winners of steak-eating challenge
- 6 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in the UK
- 7 Man threatened to petrol bomb ex-partner's home
- 8 Revealed: Travelodge behind multi-million pound hotel development
- 9 Couple explores Norfolk homes in Escape to the Country
- 10 MAPPED: Where thousands of homes could be built in north Norfolk
The advisor replied: 'I understand where you're coming from. As much as I would like to give any compensation for this, I'm unable to offer a refund in this instance.'
Another advisor later told him he was only entitled to a £5 refund for the cost of delivery as it had arrived late due to problems with the Deliveroo app.
READ MORE: Paperwork to mouldy food - are food hygiene ratings fair on restaurants?Mr Wood, from Norwich, said: 'It was disgusting. I do understand these things can happen but to say it's personal taste is hilarious.
'They offered £5, two free deliveries, for it being late but said they wouldn't do anything about the hair.'
A spokesman for Deliveroo said: 'We're very sorry Darren didn't get to experience the amazing meal and service that our customers have come to know and expect.
'Clearly the initial response from customer services was incorrect which we will address internally.
'We will be offering Darren a full refund and a free Deliveroo voucher.'
A spokesman for Byron said: 'We are absolutely horrified to hear one of our customers found a hair in their food, and would like to offer our sincere apologies.
'We will of course investigate. Our General Manager would very much like to extend an invitation to join him and his team for dinner, on us, and be assured that this was a very regrettable, but isolated incident.'