Delight at return of Gressenhall’s post office
- Credit: Matthew Usher
The Post Office has finally reinstated its counter in Gressenhall Stores for two full days a week.
The facility was closed in April and was supposed to be a temporary measure but weeks and months passed with no news of a proper replacement service in the village near Dereham.
Mid Norfolk MP George Freeman met villagers soon after the closure and has been pushing the Post Office to reopen the counter as soon as possible.
An outreach service was provided by Mattishall post office for two hours a week in July but now the Post Office has issued a statement saying the service will be reinstated on Monday and Wednesday from 9am to 5.30pm – which it says 'will make it more convenient for customers to visit'.
The news is particularly welcomed by many of the elderly in the village who say they use it as a community outreach as well as for its postal services.
Mr Freeman added: 'I am absolutely delighted that Gressenhall post office has finally re-opened.
'This is fantastic news for the village which has frankly suffered during the nine-month closure.
- 1 Meet the new team behind revamped village pub
- 2 Woman in 40s airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency
- 3 People are driving for hours to visit this loaded fries and doughnut kiosk
- 4 'Once in a lifetime catch' - man lands monster fish in Norfolk
- 5 Music-loving dad whose ashes were fired into festival crowd took own life
- 6 Obituary: Doctor, and son of Norwich's recycling empire founder, dies aged 69
- 7 One person taken to hospital after three-car crash on A47
- 8 Father accused of baby girl's murder 'had short fuse and made things up'
- 9 Holiday Inn to become 'care hotel' to help struggling hospitals
- 10 One of East Anglia's largest property builders is sold to investment firm
'In rural communities like ours, the post office is a crucial facility. I know that many local residents and businesses ultimately want a return to the five day full time service, and I will continue to campaign on their behalf.'