Delight after CCTV take-over offer is accepted by Sheringham, North Walsham and Fakenham town councils
- Credit: PA
It is 'full steam ahead' for a CCTV take-over in three communities after a financial offer was accepted by councillors.
The North Norfolk District Council (NNDC) offer of £50,318 was accepted by Sheringham, North Walsham and Fakenham town councils, who hope to continue running the service which was previously under threat.
NNDC had planned to scrap all of its CCTV cameras to save £200,000 per year but the system will remain in place at North Walsham, Sheringham and Fakenham after a contract is signed.
The agreement comes after weeks of negotiations with the Three Towns CCTV Group, led by Sheringham mayor Doug Smith.
Cromer and Wells town councils were initially involved in the discussions but pulled out.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Smith, who discussed the offer with Sheringham Town Council last night, said: 'The members are very pleased. It is full-steam ahead now, which is good news. I'm delighted.'
The contract, which will be drawn up by NNDC, has to be agreed by the three individual councils who will work with Secure Defence UK, based south of Norwich.
- 1 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 4 Norfolk man who had sexual relationship with teen jailed
- 5 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 6 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 7 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
- 8 Funeral held for much loved windsurfer after body found in Sweden
- 9 Man charged with attempted murder after serious Norwich assault
- 10 The Range confirms new store at former Outfit on retail park
A NNDC spokesman said it was hoped the transfer of equipment would be completed next month.
There are eight cameras in North Walsham, six in Sheringham and 16 in Fakenham.
The £50,318 offer will last for three years but extra money will be needed from the three towns.