Debbie McGee reminisces about first date with Paul Daniels on Norfolk Broads
- Credit: Maurice Gray
Debbie McGee has spoken about her first date with her late husband, magician Paul Daniels, ahead of a new Channel 5 reality TV show.
Mrs McGee, who started out as Mr Daniels' on-stage assistant, is appearing in the new series Celebrity Carry On Barging and said filming scenes for the show was hard as it reminded her of her first date with Mr Daniels who died in 2016.
'I did think 'How will I cope?' but it was so busy and that was good for me.
'My first date with Paul was on the Norfolk Broads - it was a really big part of our life, we were both qualified helmsmen and one exam short of captain.
'We did all our training courses together, did lots of boating holidays and would come home from London at 8pm and go out on the boat for an hour in the summer, boats were a big part of my life with him.'
You may also want to watch:
She is starring alongside Simon Callow, Nigel Havers and Lorraine Chase and said she took comfort from co-star Havers, whose wife Polly died of ovarian cancer in 2004.
Mrs McGee said: 'Nigel had been through a similar thing. He was great.
- 1 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 2 Man seriously injured after crash
- 3 'Isolate from your household' plea as Covid soars in Norwich
- 4 Covid rips through care homes again with deaths almost doubling in a week
- 5 'They don't care': Retired couple slam council over 'dangerous' tree
- 6 Concern elderly people 'being ignored' as town has no vaccination centre
- 7 Norfolk yet to reach peak in latest wave of coronavirus deaths
- 8 Man admits causing death of popular sportsman by dangerous driving
- 9 Minke whale washes up on beach
- 10 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
'He's been through it and got through the other side and is now very happily married and met somebody else and it really made me realise life does go on.'
• Celebrity Carry On Barging will air on Channel 5 on February 10 at 8pm.